[sylpheed:32605] Re: Notification on new mail arrival

Tobias Crefeld tc-lx at myway.de
Mon Sep 1 22:46:29 JST 2008

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 14:57:09 +0200 Cecca <cecca67 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Godwin Stewart ha scritto:

> > Requesting return receipts is poor netiquette. If your

Don't know which "Netiquette" you mean. N. might be important for
usenet, forums and mailing lists but not for PM.

> > communication is so important that you want to make sure the
> > recipient gets it then don't use e-mail in the first place, send it
> > through the mail with recorded delivery.

...which would be a waste of time and money.

> > Quite a few people refuse to send return receipts anyway since
> > they're an easy way for spammers to know that a message has been
> > delivered and to confirm the validity of an e-mail address.

It seems that you mix up delivery notifications (by MTA) and return
receipts (by MUA / HB).

A lot of people are able to recognize the difference between spam and
ham. And they are able to responsibly decide whose email they want to
acknowledge.

> About the returno receipts: I understand your point of view, but I
> wish to be free to use it. Or to let the sender know that I've
> received the mail. And, as far as I know, this is a feature tha
> Sylpheed is missing....

There are two ways:
1. At each email you can individually set a mark for return receipts
under "options".
2. Each folder has a some preferences to configure (right-click on the
folder). There you find an asking for return receipts as well. These
settings will be the default for new emails you create after having
opened this folder.

I'm running sylpheed under Linux and with german localisation and
so don't know how the items are named at your installation but you can
be sure, that sylpheed can definitely handle return receipts.

--
Gruß,
 Tobias.