[sylpheed:32154] Re: GTK beeps when opening folders with sorted messages

Benat Dagorret lists at nrd.fr
Fri Mar 14 19:29:33 JST 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:15:34 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:01:22 +0100, Benat Dagorret <lists at nrd.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:06:43 +0100

> > > You can make GTK generally stop beeping by adding the following line
> > > into your ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
> > > gtk-error-bell = 0
> > >
> > > Then GTK won't beep anymore(needs a restart of running applications).
> > > But maybe you will miss then some *wanted* beeps, your decision ;-).
> >
> > Thanks Enrico. Yes, I suppose some beeps might be salutary :-)
> > (But I was thinking about cutting the speaker wires, so your suggestion
> > is less radical anyway :-)) )
> Another way than disabling beeps on GTK, is to unload the the "pcskpr"
> kernel module. Then you really don't have any beeps(except for the ones
> from the BIOS if any).
>
> Unloading the kernel module is nearly as effective as cutting the
> speaker wires but more easily reversible ;-).

Well, if no solution is found, at least we have enjoyed some humour :-)
After all, computing doesn't need to be as serious!

>From your suggestions I guess there isn't yet a more direct fix to the
problem reported on December 2007. I will try to spend some time on it
and see what I can find (maybe building Sylpheed from latest sources is
a good starting point).

Downgrading to a previous "no beeps" version like Sylpheed 2.3.1 could
also be a last resort solution.

Thanks for the module suggestion. I'm a FreeBSD user for a couple of
years and I will look for the equivalent function under this OS.

Regards.

--
Benat Dagorret