[sylpheed:32393] Re: Junk filter problem

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Wed Jun 4 13:55:34 JST 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:13:37 -0300
John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:

> > Good luck finding an answer to the problem.  You might try
> > re-installing bogofilter in case something got corrupted on your disk.
>
> That was the first thing I did, when I detected the first problem, but
> it seems that it didn't solve it. I just recompiled Sylpheed again -
> maybe that helps.

Ok, just found out where the problem was. I had installed (apparently not
completely) a new version of glibc, and the gconv modules (for character
set translation) hadn't been installed correctly (normally
in /usr/lib/gconv).

This made bogofilter complain (rather cryptically with 'Segmentation
fault'), but an strace running bogofilter 'by hand' on the problem message
showed that gconv was being consulted just at the time. The problem only
appeared if the incoming message was not in the native character coding,
and had to be translated.

I reinstalled the gconv modules, and all is well (for now ;-)

If I'm mistaken in my theories, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

John