[sylpheed:32391] Re: Junk filter problem

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Wed Jun 4 01:13:37 JST 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:27:33 -0600
Bob White <bob at bob-white.com> wrote:

> I did receive that email, but bogofilter didn't catch it as spam.  A
> couple of years ago I was getting about 90% accuracy with bogofilter.
> Then after some change it dropped to about 60%.  I've never recovered
> to really good filtering.

Hi Bob.

I can't complain. Though I seem to notice more spam filtering through the
filter (pun intended), most of those are of the 'new generation' which
regenerate most of the contents, and use disposable urls, and, as such
are nearly impossible to detect. I still estimate well of 95%
effectivity (receiving over two hundred spams daily that's a _good_
thing).

Maybe you should take a bunch of the messages that don't actually
classify correctly and pass them again through bogofilter as spam. I
needed much more than the original 100 to get it working well.

> Good luck finding an answer to the problem.  You might try re-installing
> bogofilter in case something got corrupted on your disk.

That was the first thing I did, when I detected the first problem, but it
seems that it didn't solve it. I just recompiled Sylpheed again - maybe
that helps.

Again, thanks for your help.
John

BTW: Don't worry about that particular mail not being classified as spam
in your filter. The mail is from the Agricultural School at my
university, and in fact is valid propaganda for a postgrad course, but I
classified it as spam (taught bogofilter how to), as I can't seem to get
off their mailing list (I'm into electronics ;-)