[sylpheed:32016] Re: G_FILENAME_ENCODING?

Georgi Kirilov kirilov.georgi.s at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:54:05 JST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:44:03 -0800
"Andreas J. G" <ajg at inbox.com> wrote:

> The locale encoding is not UTF-8, but the environmental variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is > not set.
> If the local encoding is used for file name or directory name, it will not work correctly.
> In that case, you must set the following environmental variable (see README for detail):
> I do not wish to find my emails corrupt or wrongly encoded after I fetch them all, or find out in > 2 years that I can't import the mails into another e-mail client... :)

Hi,
this warning is about filenames, not the files' contents. I had such problem
with my gmail account because it names the folders according the user's
native language. If you have no such folders you don't have to worry, but it
is safest to either set "G_BROKEN_FILENAMES = 1" or
"G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale" in your /etc/profile.
And the best solution of course, is to use utf-8 ;)