[sylpheed:32589] Re: sylpheed crashes when sending mail

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Fri Aug 22 17:56:46 JST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:32:12 +0200, Mario Wehbrink
<biowalker6 at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> schrieb:
>
> Hi
>
> > @Mario: build sylpheed from source with debugging symbols enabled,
> > trigger the crash and then check the backtrace. And/or install the
> > gtk2 and glib2 dbg packages of Debian.
>
> Did that now. Since i found no debug configure option, i build
> sylpheed without debugging symbols enabled. The self compiled version

CFLAGS="-g -O0" ./configure && make && make install

'-g' enables debugging symbols (mostly done automatically when calling
configure without previously set CFLAGS)

'-O0' disables all optimizations which could falsify backtraces.

> runs without errors, just as the debian packages did until last week
> or so. Think i'll just stick with the self compiled version, since
> noone else seems to have the problem.

I guess there was an update of any library Sylpheed is linked against
(maybe even indirectly) and this broke binary compability. This was the
same as I had when I upgraded libenchant. And you solved this by
compiling Sylpheed yourself as it now is linked against the version of
this library on your system. This is just a guess but if I'm right,
this is a serious Debian bug, I'd even say RC and since Lenny is going
to be released, you should report it.

Regards,
Enrico