[sylpheed:32580] Re: Gmail anyone?

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Sat Aug 16 08:20:31 JST 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:49:37 -0400
sm0oojzz+sylph at fastimap.com wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:46:38 -0600
> genegold at peoplepc.com wrote:
>
> > Thanks very much for clarifying this.  One last question.  I can
> > see the advantages to the email co. and the user for IMAP.
> > Assuming a reliable server, are there a downsides to IMAP vs. POP?
>

> With IMAP you can only access your mail on the server when you are
> connected to the internet.  But, you have the option of synching what
> is on the server with your local client at any time.  Also most
> providers have a storage limit and possibly a monthly bandwidth
> allowance.  Good luck.
>
> --
> John

with imap,since the mail is on the server, you can see your old mail
from virtually any PC connected to the net.  With POP (depending on
configuration), you might only be able to view old mail on the machine
on which you initially saw it.

With imap, you're relying on the server for backups.  With POP (again
somewhat configuration dependant) you're relying on your backups (you
DO have backups, don't you :-)

Bruce