[sylpheed:32577] Re: Gmail anyone?

joe joe at hostedcontent.com
Sat Aug 16 02:48:28 JST 2008

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
> joe <joe at hostedcontent.com> wrote:
>
>> sm0oojzz+sylph at fastimap.com wrote:

>>> You can set up folders on the IMAP server by using your email client or by logging into your account though the webmail interface.  You can copy or transfer any local messages into the folders on the IMAP server from inside your mail client.  I would not recommend drag/drop folders from your local client to the server in case all info does not move over to the server for some reason.  If you copy things over, you can then check to make sure what you expect to be on the server is truly there.  Then you can delete your local data if you so choose.
>>>
>>> Open a free account and try things out.  If you don't like it, abandon it.
>>>

>> Good point! I moved two clients over from pop3 to imap and had them drag
>> and drop their folders over. We're talking thousands upon thousands of
>> emails and hundreds of megabytes of storage. Neither one of them
>> encountered any problems. Outlook (ick) did keep the local folders
>> intact after they finished their drag and drop. If your client would
>> delete the drag & dropped local folders then definately copy them
>> instead of "moving" them.
>>

> Thanks very much for clarifying this.  One last question.  I can see the
> advantages to the email co. and the user for IMAP.  Assuming a reliable
> server, are there a downsides to IMAP vs. POP?
>
> Gene

I cant find any. I've been using pop3 since i've been on the internets
and just recently set up an imap server, mailscanner, spamassasin, and i
can honestly say that it is a much better setup (atleast for me) than
the pop3 set-up ever was. For my uses i cannot find a downside but i'm
sure that there is and hopefully someone will chime in with some.

believed to be clean.