[sylpheed:32572] Re: Gmail anyone?

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Fri Aug 15 07:01:23 JST 2008

sm0oojzz+sylph at fastimap.com wrote:

> genegold at peoplepc.com wrote:
>
> > The email service suggestions in this thread have got me to thinking -
> > and a question from someone who's never considered IMAP before. When a
> > user switches from POP3 email accounts with an ISP to email service such
> > as fastmail.fm (or lavabit.com), it looks seamless in terms of keeping
> > one's default and created folders in Sylpheed. However, does Sylpheed
> > seem it the same way when switching from an ISP's POP3 to a service's
> > IMAP account, or does everything start from scratch? Thanks.
>
> If you are using POP3, your folders are local.  IMAP folders are on the provider's server so those have to be created from scratch.  However, you can filter or make copies of any message/folder on your IMAP server into your local Sylpheed folders.
>
> I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I gave it a shot.

Yes, I can see that the server wouldn't know what the existing folders
are.  However, looking at fastmail.fm's email client setup instructions
- http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/ExternalMail.htm#ExternalAccess
(item 2) - it looks like folders can be created in the email client,
since setting up IMAP there creates the usual default folders, which I
assume the server then recognizes. Or does it?   Once folders in IMAP
are set up, however it happens, can old POP messages be copied or
exported over, or do they have to be forwarded to the new account?
Thanks.

Gene