[sylpheed:32570] Re: Gmail anyone?

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Fri Aug 15 01:22:50 JST 2008

sm0oojzz+sylph at fastimap.com wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:23:05 -0700
> johnxj at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > And, since Gmail seems to be rather fussy, can someone suggest another
> > free e-mail service instead of Gmail?
>
> I've used http://fastmail.fm/  for about 5 years.  Rock solid reliability and a very active forum community make this the best free provider IMO.  The free account is IMAP and you use your ISP's SMTP account.  If you want to use their SMTP server, the cost is a one off fee of $14.95 which also includes increased storage and bandwidth.

The email service suggestions in this thread have got me to thinking -
and a question from someone who's never considered IMAP before. When a
user switches from POP3 email accounts with an ISP to email service such
as fastmail.fm (or lavabit.com), it looks seamless in terms of keeping
one's default and created folders in Sylpheed. However, does Sylpheed
seem it the same way when switching from an ISP's POP3 to a service's
IMAP account, or does everything start from scratch? Thanks.

Gene Goldenfeld