[sylpheed:32263] Help Compiling Sylpheed-2.4.8 on Debian Etch

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:57:36 JST 2008

I am attempting to compile Sylpheed 2.4.8 on Debian Etch, and am running into a few problems. The method I am using is to compile into a deb, and then install the deb (ie: ./configure && make && checkinstall -D)

Most people recommend that I use the official lenny/sid debs, but due to the number of core packages that get marked for upgrade to unstable, I am not able to go that route.

When I run: ./configure, I am unable to enable ssl or gpg support, even though I have both openssl and gpg installed. The output I receive is:

sylpheed 2.4.8

GnuPG         : no
JPilot        : no
LDAP          : no
OpenSSL       : no
iconv         : yes
compface      : no
IPv6          : yes
GtkSpell      : no
Oniguruma     : no

I tried to use the --enable-ssl and --enable-gpgme, but it made no difference. The current version of sylpheed I am using (official etch deb) has the following options: Compiled-in features: IPv6 iconv compface GnuPG OpenSSL

I also received the following errors from ./configure:

config.status: WARNING:  Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  ac/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  libsylph/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  src/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  src/icons/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  po/Makefile.in.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  faq/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  faq/de/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  faq/en/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  faq/es/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  faq/fr/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  faq/it/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  manual/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  manual/en/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: WARNING:  manual/ja/Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting

Just to see if I could keep going I ran make, and then checkinstall -D (to make a .deb file), and make compiles ok, but I can't install it. The output I get from checkinstall is:

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist.
Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: y

Preparing package documentation...OK

Installing with "make install"...

Copying documentation directory...
/var/tmp/dhEfZaBhIhfZddNPfUoR/installscript.sh: line 13: 18211 Segmentation fault      mkdir -p "/usr/share/doc/sylpheed-2.4.8"

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Bye.

I was wondering if other Etch users could give me a few hints on how to compile this.

Andrew