[sylpheed:31840] Re: Sylpheed cross-platform development

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Fri Oct 19 17:57:37 JST 2007

Hello,

(sorry for the delayed response)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:11:09 -0500
John Gateley <sylpheed at jfoo.net> wrote:

> I have a couple of questions about the development of Sylpheed:
>
> Is it all done by Hiroyuki Yamamoto? Or is there a team of
> developers working on it. Would Hiroyuki or a developer working
> on the cross-platform features be willing to talk to me via
> e-mail to give me an idea how it is done?

The development of Sylpheed is mostly done by me, but many patches are
sent by contributors. I'm willing to talk about the cross-platform
development.

> How exactly are the three platforms supported (Windows, Linux,
> and Apple)? Is GTK the only cross-platform tool used, or is
> there something else.

The most part of the difference of platforms are absorbed by GTK+/GLib.
Other parts which are not covered by GTK+/GLib (some file
manipulations, direct BSD socket communication, etc.) are implemented
by myself. There is almost no difference in the code of Sylpheed
between Linux and OS X (Apple), but there is many Windows-specific
codes.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>