[sylpheed:31449] Re: Read Receipt with Sylpheed

Stefaan A Eeckels Stefaan.Eeckels at ecc.lu
Sat Jun 16 01:17:24 JST 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:03:19 +0100
Laurence Darby <ldarby at mips.com> wrote:

> Frank Lanitz wrote:
> >
> >I'm not sure, if I'm just blind ;)
> >I'm looking for a option to request a read receipt, but I didn't
> >find any. Does Sylpheed support such a feature?
> >
> It's called a telephone.    So, Hiro, please consider this a vote not
> to implement this or other idiocy such as Message Disposition
> Notification :)

I'm sorry, but there are instances where MDN is genuinely useful, and
not resented by the recipient. I do Help Desk work, and the ability to
track which of the messages I sent have been received helps me provide a
good service. Another example is when you're under some obligation or
other to deliver documents through email (invoices, time sheets etc),
where the non-receipt of an acknowledgement helps with the follow-up of
the delivery process.

When a function is not present, one cannot use it. When it is present,
those who don't want to use it need not use it. I have no need for
IMAP, but the fact that it is supported by Sylpheed doesn't bother me.
I know many people who resent receiving encrypted or even signed
messages, but that is, IMHO, not a reason not to support encrypted
mail.

I would vote for the inclusion of MDN functionality (both requesting an
MDN and the ability to send one if requested). Being able to enable it
globally, on a per account or per folder basis would make it easy for
those who don't like it to switch it off.

Take care,

--
Stefaan A Eeckels