[sylpheed:31527] Re: Differences between Sylpheed and Claws Mail?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Jul 16 02:37:13 JST 2007

Hello Wikianer,

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:11:17 +0100 wikianer at googlemail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. If I remember correctly, Sylpheed Claws was some kind of development version of Sylpheed. The purpose was to implement new features in Sylpheed Claws and - if they were regarded useful - to implement them in Sylpheed, too.

Long time ago, yes.

> Now Sylpheed Claws has become Claws Mail. I wonder if the above-mentioned relation between Sylpheed/Sylpheed Claws is also valid for Sylpheed/Claws Mail?

No, and that's one of the reasons why the product name has changed.

> Could therefore anybody be so kind and enumerate the main differences between Sylpheed and Claws Mail for me (only from the perspective of a user)?

Enumeration could be long, but for your information:
http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/General_Information#What_are_the_differences_between_Claws_Mail_and_Sylpheed.3F

> 2. Currently, I am using Sylpheed. I wanted to try Claws Mail, too, but unfortunately, there are now up to date binaries for MS Windows (I am not using Linux yet).

The Windows version included in the gpg4win bundle is up-to-date
(2.10.0, see http://www.gpg4win.org/), but still incomplete in terms of
features - it's still lacking SSL, IMAP and most of the plugins. This
port is under heavy work, though, it's just a matter of patience now.

> What I have already found out:
> * Claws Mail supports various (useful?) plugins

No, useless plug-ins only. Make up your own idea about what's useful or not:
http://www.claws-mail.org/plugins.php?branch=STD
http://www.claws-mail.org/plugins.php?branch=EXT

More questions and discussions about Claws Mail would be welcome on the
Claws Mail users mailing list or IRC channel. See:
http://www.claws-mail.org/MLs.php?section=community

Regards,

--
wwp