[sylpheed:30879] Re: How do I erase messages in my newsgroups

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Mon Feb 5 11:16:51 JST 2007

Hello,

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:04:46 -0500
genegold at highstream.net wrote:

> > Can I delete them from my folder?  It is getting hard to load.
>
> Assuming you mean it's slow and tieing up everything, it's first a
> function of how many messages are still on the server.  My ISP
> (Comcast) leaves something like 3-4 years up, which on some
> newsgroups (e.g., some Microsoft help ones) means nearly 200,000
> messages.  I do my best to avoid or make short use of those, then
> delete the group.  Others have many fewer (<100k) and don't take long
> to load or check new posts.  One alternative is a dedicated newsgroup
> reader, such as Forte.

Set 'Account prefs - Receive - News - Maximum number of articles to
download' to appropriate number (default is 300).

Previously downloaded articles are not automatically deleted, so you
have to use 'View - Update summary' or folder context menu - 'Update
summary'. This will remove the all older articles cache.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>