[sylpheed:30878] Re: How do I erase messages in my newsgroups

genegold at highstream.net genegold at highstream.net
Mon Feb 5 09:04:46 JST 2007

Quoting jbrice at netscape.net:

> > Message: 3
> > Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 02:00:27 +0100
> > From: Evgeni Golov <sargentd at die-welt.net>
> > Subject: [sylpheed:30875] Re: How do I erase messages in my
> >     newsgroups.
> > To: sylpheed at sraoss.jp
> >
> > On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:53:38 -0600 jbrice at netscape.net wrote:
> >
> > > I have selected all the messages in the newsgroup but delete is not
> > > offered as an option.
> >
> > You can't because the messages aren't yours. The are on the
> > newsserver, and you have no rights to delete them there ;-)
>
> Can I delete them from my folder?  It is getting hard to load.

Assuming you mean it's slow and tieing up everything, it's first a function of
how many messages are still on the server.  My ISP (Comcast) leaves something
like 3-4 years up, which on some newsgroups (e.g., some Microsoft help ones)
means nearly 200,000 messages.  I do my best to avoid or make short use of
those, then delete the group.  Others have many fewer (<100k) and don't take
long to load or check new posts.  One alternative is a dedicated newsgroup
reader, such as Forte.

Gene