[sylpheed:31145] special folder usage difficulties on IMAP

Rumi Szabolcs rumi_ml at rtfm.hu
Wed Apr 18 12:48:55 JST 2007

Hi!

Recently I've been configuring a mail account in Sylpheed for a new
user and observed the following difficulties:

He is using an IMAP4 account, with Sent, Drafts, and Trash folders
also on the IMAP4 server so that other agents like webmail client
always show the same stuff.

1.) By default, only Trash has been created automatically (by Sylpheed?)
on the IMAP4 account (INBOX.Trash that is), so I had to create INBOX.Sent
and INBOX.Drafts by hand.

2.) By default the Trash folder which was apparently created automatically
has not been set automatically to be used to put deleted messages into
(as in Account preferences -> Advanced tab)

3.) Then (by hand) I've set (in the Account preferences -> Advanced tab)
the IMAP4-hosted INBOX.Trash, INBOX.Drafts, INBOX.Sent folders as the
ones to store deleted, draft, and sent messages, respectively. After
that, they were not recognized as specially designated folders, which
means no special icon for them in the folder tree and no special
functions within the context menu. I had to do a "Rebuild folder tree"
on the IMAP4 account to get them recognised as specially designated
folders, which is non-trivial in my opinion.

My proposals:

- If Trash gets created by Sylpheed, why doesn't it create Sent and Drafts,
maybe Outbox on an IMAP4 account? Maybe the user could get questioned to
create and designate these special folders automatically when the account
gets created, or when he checks the checkboxes on the Advanced tab to put
them into folders. Maybe he also could get asked for naming those folders
in his own language instead of english by using an editable box where he
can replace "Sent" or "Drafts" with an arbitrary name.

- I think either should Sylpheed do a folder tree rebuild automatically
when changes occur on the Advanced tab Folders area, or at least warn
the user to do it after he has made changes because it's non trivial
why the newly created and designated folders do not work as intended.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Sab