[sylpheed:31078] Trouble parsing attachments

Patrick J. Daly pjdaly at erols.com
Wed Apr 4 01:23:03 JST 2007

I've been using Sylpheed since Nov 2004, stating with this version:

One thing it's always had trouble with is finding attachments
which seems to be related to multipart/alternative and/or
multipart/mixed.

For example, someone forwarded me a .wmv file which I could
tell was there by bringing the mail file up in an editor.
But it was lost to Slypheed which apparently get confused
finding the boundaries when emails get reforwarded enough
times.

I found I could save off the 1st big attachment section
(message/rfc822 of size 7.50MB) into a numbered mail file
in the folder, then exit and reenter the folder. That new
mail file could be parsed further.  Then I repeated that
experiment on the new file, breaking it down further
into a second saved mail file.  Then Sylpheed was able
to parse and "see" the .wmv attachment in the 2nd reduced
mail file.

Other times in the past, if I was desperate to get an
attachment giving me problems, I'd sometimes import
the mail file to Thunderbird (which I use only for that
purpose..I prefer to use Sylpheed).

Sylpheed Claws sometimes does a little better, but
it gets confused as well. I've tried it a couple of times
to read problem mail files.

And I sometimes jut use an editor to view the mail file
if the lost/hidden attachment is text.