[sylpheed:30208] Re: Bcc: missing for sender & receiver

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at highstream.net
Sat Oct 21 06:27:08 JST 2006

bojster <sylpheed at bojster.net> wrote:

>Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
>
>> Using 2.3.0b3/Win32, with To: and Cc: default and Bcc: added via the
>> View menu: In my copy of the sent email (Sent folder) the Bcc does not
>> show in the header.  Also, the Bcc recipient does not get any direct
>> indication that their copy is Bcc.  My vague recollection is that both
>> of these were standard in 2.2.x, but I could be wrong. In any case, I
>> would suggest they should be in 2.3.x.  Thanks.
>
>BCC is immediately removed from the header, that's why it's called
>*blind* carbon copy. The recipient of BCC will never see their own
>mail address in the header, because it was stripped before sending
>(that's also how mailing lists work, mostly). If you want the
>carbon copy receiver's mail in the header, use CC instead. BCC shows
>up in the header of the message that is put in the sent folder, though
>(Sylpheed 2.2.9).

I didn't suggest that the Bcc should show up in the header of the
recipient. Many, if not most programs - and I vaguely recalled in
Sylpheed 2.2.9 and earlier -- let the receiver know it's a Bcc with text
in brackets or parentheses within the message itself.  Run a test in
2.2.9 and check.  That's an extremely vital piece of information to
convey to the receiver, and can't be left to the hope that they will
study the header and deduce they got a Bcc. I discovered the missing
Bcc sending test messages to myself today, after noticing it wasn't in
the my copy's header.  I'm using 2.3.0b3 and wanted to alert Hiro to
the matter.

Gene