[sylpheed:30162] Re: nntp subscribe bug

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at highstream.net
Sun Oct 15 23:48:36 JST 2006

Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

>Moin,
>
>I was trying to subscribe to a few newsgroups when i
>stumbled over a bug.
>
>In the subscribe window, when there is a list of
>newsgroups shown, you cannot subscribe to a group
>that has sub groups. Though if you narrow the list
>down to show just that one group (using search) you
>can subscribe to it.
>
>This bug is also present in 2.2.7, so i guess it's
>something older.

Every newsgroup client I've seen works this way (i.e., not a bug).
After all, each subscription is to one newsgroup.  Are there programs
that operate otherwise?  I've assumed it works this way as an incentive
to make users choose what they actually want, since presumably there's
server overhead involved with repeated downloads, i.e., every time the
client is opened or the user checks for new messages.

Where I always get tripped up is forgetting to click the newsgroup's
box on the left before OK. Making it so a double click on a newsgroup
puts a check in the box would help.

Gene