[sylpheed:30155] Re: Quotes showing as squares

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Fri Oct 13 10:16:55 JST 2006

Hello,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:51:28 -0500
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at highstream.net> wrote:

> >It looks like the result of Microsoft developers thinking sending
> >Windows-1252 as ISO-8859-1 is ok. Try to change the codeset to
> >Windows-1252...
>
> Yes, in the previous go around I found 1252 solved it. Unfortunately,
> there's no way in Sylpheed to change the character set from the
> default permanently (the setting in Common Prefs doesn't do it). I
> was raising it again today just in case Hiro had tried to fix the way
> these characters rendered between 2.2.7 and 2.3.0beta.  Previously
> they showed as empty squares.

It's perhaps because of the upgrade of GTK+ and Pango.

I'm not keen on remembering the encoding setting in the main menu,
because it "overwrites" the message's charset declaration. This
prevents users from viewing messages whose charsets are incompatible
with the specified encoding (ex. you can't see UTF-8 messages correctly
when Windows-1252 is specified).

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>