[sylpheed:30149] Re: Problems with jpeg picture image attachments

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 10:07:49 JST 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:24:27 +0200
Gil Andre <andre.g at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:44:17 -0700 Richard E Miles <r.godzilla at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > When I receive a email with jpeg pictures the image contains a blue
> > screen in the image about the lower half of the picture. This is
> > disturbing because I would like to see the entire picture image. What
> > could be causing this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Most likely, the JPEG image you received was damaged to start with.
> Sylpheed -- like many other programs -- tries to decode and display
> it, and failing that, fills the part it could not decode properly
> with a default color.
>
> I strongly suggest to open the image with your favourite image viewer
> (IrfanView for Windows, or xv, gqview or Gimp under Linux, for instance)
> and check if the problem is still there, or -- even better -- if the
> program returns an error message such as: "Unexpected end of JPEG file"
> or some other message. If that's the case, ask the sender to check the
> file on his/her end, and send it again back to you.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> --
>   __  Gil ANDRE				  gil [at] panix   [dot] com
>  (oO) 				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr
>  /||\ Relax to the soothing madness of the ancient ones: 66.6FM KTLU

I found out what the problem was. It is fetchmail. When I use fetchmail to get my mail from comcast it does not handle large attachments very well. I cahnged sylpheed to use the comcast mail service directly and now I can get attachments with multiple pictures just fine. I've abandoned fetchmail as a way to get mail from comcast.

--
Richard Miles
Federal Way WA. USA