[sylpheed:30443] Re: Problem in charset detection ?

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at highstream.net
Thu Nov 23 00:18:48 JST 2006

Nicolas Guilmain <nicolas.guilmain at ac-orleans-tours.fr> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I receive some mails with strange characters (see joined screenshot).
>By changing the charset to Windows-1252, this character is correctly shown.
>
>Why Sylpheed doesn't select this charset automatically (configuration is set to automatic detection) ?
>
>Note that I understand (nearly) nothing about charsets so I've probably missed something about Microsoft charset...

I get the same character in several newsletters.  It used to be a blank
square. I've reported this a few times (e.g., 28278, 30028), but gotten
no support or resolution so far.  Thus, I'm glad someone else is seeing
this - and in French, not just English.  Here are two recent examples,
one from England, the other from the States:

Gene