[sylpheed:30587] Re: Address management wish list

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Sat Dec 16 05:38:55 JST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:08:01 +0200
Cristian Secară <orice at secarica.ro> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:38:00 -0500, Bruce Bowler wrote:
>
> > One thing that has ALWAYS (since 1.x days) bugged me about Sylpheed's
> > address book [...] is the interaction between the field in the address
> > book called "nick name" and the one called "display name".
>
> Hm, interesting. My preferred e-mail client, PMMail, has this option
> (there the nick name is called Alias), which annoyed me from the
> beginning :) Perhaps due to bad implementation, because in PMMail
> the Alias is the only keyword that can perform autocompletion in the
> address field (not the real name or e-mail address), so I have to
> specify an Alias for each entry even if I don't want to.
>
> I didn't imagine that other user will wish this feature :)

I don't want to have to have an alias for everyone either :-).

Currently sylpheed will (apparently?) try to match on any (reasonable?)
field.  I discovered this quite by accident when I had someone with a
"display name" was Malcolm and who's address started with an e
(e... at ....)  Entering an "e" into the to field brought up Malcolm as one
of the possible names.

All I want (for Christmas :-) is one of those "(reasonable?) fields" that
is not revealed to the world (when used with the boss, or even worse, the
wife, as Don suggested :-)