[sylpheed:30584] Re: Address management wish list

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Sat Dec 16 03:38:00 JST 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 11:17:03 -0500
Don Koch <aardvark at krl.com> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> While we're on the subject of features (like we ever aren't?), a few
> of features I'd like to see for the Address Book:
>
> 1. Put the address book configuration on a separate thread.  Even when
> you right click on an address and "Add to address book...", it puts the
> address in, but you have to manually type in the full name and such.
> If it was on a separate thread, you could cut and paste in the values
> from the existing mail.
>
> 2. When doing said "Add to address book...", it would be nice if it
> could figure out name by context (at least, from the header fields).
> E.g., if the From: line reads "From: Joe L. User <juser at example.com>",
> add to address book would put juser at example.com in the address field
> and "Joe L. User" in the name field; currently, it puts the email
> address in both (at least at rev.2.2.9).
>
> 3. On a per folder basis, automatically check if the From: user is in
> the address book and, if not, enter it automatically (exmh does this).
> Extra points: if the user is in the list, update the "last date seen"
> if the mail date is newer than the current "last date seen."  Needs to
> be on a per-folder basis - one usually wants addresses added from one's
> inbox, but not from the mailing lists one has forwarded into the mailing
> list's folder (i.e., I care about my friends and associates who send
> me mail directly and not about you guys :) ).
>
> I can see dumping the last one as it is the hardest to implement and has
> the least amount of payback.  (I know I was always culling out addresses
> from spambots that made it through to my inbox - and that's despite the
> fact that mail only goes to my inbox if it is addressed or cc'ed to me.)
>
> -d

One thing that has ALWAYS (since 1.x days) bugged me about Sylpheed's
address book (and it's probably the only thing that bugs me about
Sylpheed) is the interaction between the field in the address book called
"nick name" and the one called "display name".

To my mind, when I type something in the nickname field, that should
NEVER be sent to the recipient.  Either the display name and address or,
if display name is empty, just the address should be put in the to/cc/bcc
header field.

Simple example.  My co-worker is named David.  He would like mail
addressed to him as David.  I have problems (OK, I'll admit that it's a
PEBKAC) and always type dave, which fails because his display name is
David and his email address is david at ....  No problem, put dave in the
nickname field.  Oooops - the to line now says Dave <david at ...>.  Yes, I
know if I stopped typing at dav it would work, but remember, it's a
PEBKAC.

More "complex" example.  Suppose he's someone who goes by a (shall we
say) "colorful" nickname.  I certainly don't want the colorful nickname
included in a list of recipients that may include people who don't know
him that well.

IMHO, there needs to be a way for me to call up an address out of the
address book by some key field that doesn't get exposed to the outside
world.

Thanks for listening.

Bruce