[sylpheed:30548] Re: character encoding problems

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 11:01:42 JST 2006

> > Another encoding problem is of the summary view. When a subject item
> > (and probably any other item) doesn't have an embedded encoding
> > specification in the message headers and its encoding is different to
> > mine I'm getting it in my current locale encoding, i.e. in not readable
> > form too. And as in the first issue, no matter how I change the
> > encoding on the "View | Character encoding" menu. Only items with
> > embedded encoding specification, can always be read on Sylpheed
> > properly. For example:
> >
> > Subject: =?KOI8-R?B?1MXT1M/Xz8Ug08/Pwt3FzsnF?=
>
> I have a similar problem, the subject is not understable. But message
> body is correctly displayed.
> It is not a sylpheed issue, the webmail on the server shows the same
> not readable text. And the server add the flags in the subject
> according my rule. As I use also FreeBSD 6.2 may be it is a trouble
> with a library?
> subjet is displayed as:
> W09LLUxJU1RdIFtpbmZvLWlzb2NdIEludml0YXRpb24gYXUgZO5uZXIgZOliYXQg

It doesn't look like any library bug. After further investigation of
that problem, in case of usenet messages, I've found that Sylpheed does
"embedded or locale encoding --> UTF8" translation of messages' items,
like Subject, before saving a

~/.sylpheed-2.0/newscache/news.fido7.ru/fido7.ru.unix.bsd/.sylpheed_cache

Then this file is used to display the summary view. If the locale
encoding is different to the subject's encoding and the subject doesn't
have any embedded encoding the translation is wrong.

This is why changing the encoding from "View | Character encoding" menu
doesn't have any effect in the summary view. Sylpheed thinks that the
summary view items are already properly translated to UTF8, but this is
not always true. So this is Sylpheed's bug.