[sylpheed:30526] character encoding problems

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 04:28:29 JST 2006

Hello all,

I use Slypheed 2.2.10 on FreeBSD 6.2 and my locale is as following:

> locale
LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=C
LC_NUMERIC=C
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_ALL=

When I'm trying to see a message source of any email or Usenet message,
which is written by any other Cyrillic encoding (for example by KOI8-R),
I'm getting it in my current locale encoding, i.e. in not readable form.
Changing encoding on the "View | Character encoding" menu doesn't have
any effect.

Another encoding problem is of the summary view. When a subject item
(and probably any other item) doesn't have an embedded encoding
specification in the message headers and its encoding is different to
mine I'm getting it in my current locale encoding, i.e. in not readable
form too. And as in the first issue, no matter how I change the
encoding on the "View | Character encoding" menu. Only items with
embedded encoding specification, can always be read on Sylpheed
properly. For example:

Subject: =?KOI8-R?B?1MXT1M/Xz8Ug08/Pwt3FzsnF?=

Could somebody fix that strange and disappointing limitation?
The "View | Character encoding" menu setting should take effect on the
message source view and on the summary view as well. To reproduce the
problem you can read a fido7.ru.unix.bsd discussion group on a
news.fido7.ru NNTP server.

Thanks