[pgpool-hackers: 2953] Re: Time to remove replication_mode ?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Aug 16 11:21:01 JST 2018

> Hi,
>
> I know this is controversial, but is it time to remove
> replication_mode and friends from pgpool ?
>
> master_slave_mode has been around for a while, and by removing
> replication_mode from the configuration it will force people to setup
> streaming or logical replication instead.
>
> This will hopefully lead to fewer data corruption cases, since all
> community supported PostgreSQL versions has streaming replication now.
>
> I would be willing to write a patch for this, or at least a patch that
> let people know to look at master_slave_mode instead.
>
> This is of course for pgpool-4.
>
> Feedback most welcome.

I think we should not remove replication_mode for now.

PostgreSQL developers are now trying to implement replication/sharding
clusters using FDW. In the architecture, FDW sends queries to each
cluster node. But right now it lacks the feature of distributed
transaction manager, and it might be possible for Pgpool-II do
something in this area possibly with modified replication_mode.

Of course my idea is pretty vague at this point but at least I do not
want to remove replication_mode until the idea becomes clear and find
replication_mode is useless in this area.