[sylpheed:37031] Re: Sylpheed project

1.anonimo.italiano at gmail.com 1.anonimo.italiano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:58:57 JST 2021

Hello Hiroyuki,

thank you very much for theses 2 great news !

I wish you the best at your projects at work.

As I already have written in the mailing list a very few time ago, I strongly suggest sourceforge over github, or any other git repo from the free world.

Github is now under Microsoft umbrella.

1st, their are not really friends of mine. (I do wonder if their are friend of any one else them themselves).
2nd, I pro actively avoid to bring to them any kind of support, even by my simple use.
3rd, talking about costs, conversations about "how to monetate github contents" are still in the air and in the ideas list.
4th, choosing who I have to give my vote and choice, I choose to support who will serve better the community, and this is not M$.

5th, I use daily 2 of the last very free internet browsers. From not long ago, when I accede to Github, in order to subscribe or even drop a message I have to add / install some Microsoft piece of code that, ironically only are available on ... Github.

I do know that many today are not so much concerned with ethic nor morale, but the most aware of us are. Freedom and "%" do not go together.

It is of course only my opinion, although it is shared by most of my alumni programmer (computer science/students) and, I believe, an increasing quantity of people.

Any how, the decision is of course only yours and I will respect your choice.

Just to be brutally honest, I simply will not follow the project and bail out, if this one go to live under the Microsoft umbrella.

Please do not take it as a pressure or anything that kind.

I am just paying to you the same honesty I would like people to have with me with my own projects.

Last but not least, I would not bring this matter up if there was no alternative in the real free world.

And I have even stated I am ready to bring some financial support from my own to help the project to stay free.

Kind Regards

Lo

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 14:53:16 +0900
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First, sorry for no response for long periods. I'm still alive :)
>
> I'm somewhat busy for work and some projects in the company,
> so I have not been able to update Sylpheed,
> though its development is still not stopped.
>
> The recent matter of concern is to migrate the svn repository to github,
> mainly to reduce the server maintenance cost and improve user-friendliness.
> (Its schedule is not yet determined, but probably in the near future)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>

--