[sylpheed:36563] Seg fault when reading directory with a large number of messages

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Sat Jun 3 16:20:27 JST 2017

Sylpheed 3.5.1, source build in Debian Testing.

Yeah, I admit it.  I'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to my email.

I have a folder of over 50,000 notification messages from Facebook from
the years, and every time I access this folder of late I get a
segmentation fault.  If I do 'sylpheed --debug' from the command
line...well, here's the dump:

Folder inbox/Facebook is selected
current dir: /home/dennisthetiger/Mail/inbox/Facebook
Scanning folder (inbox/Facebook)...
Reading summary cache...
done.
Searching uncached messages...
done.
Marking the messages...
new: 5 unread: 22281 unflagged: 0 total: 55185
cache_dirty: 0, mark_dirty: 0
	Setting summary from message data...done.
Segmentation fault

The seg fault happens a minute or so after it finishes setting summary.

Memory usage goes up to about 30% and holds before the segfaut.

In the UI, I see a few subject lines from a couple years ago (those
which would show up in the summary window), and then the program locks
up as it scans...well, whatever it's scanning.

How can I fix this?

-Dennis Carr

What's going on, and what can I do to fix this?