[sylpheed:36299] Re: A performance problem (rant).

John john at neodoc.biz
Mon Mar 23 01:39:15 JST 2015

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 14:15:05 +0200
John Found wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 22:44:00 +1300
> John <john at neodoc.biz> wrote:
>

> > Then let's see if Fresh ( http://fresh.flatassembler.net ) can
> > solve these "unacceptable problems" you are concerned about.
> >
> I can feel, some anger in you (here comes some strange guy and
> complains about the great product - it is understandable), but that
> was not my goal.

There is no anger here, I just cannot see what you are calling a
problem.

My mail archive consists of 178 directories and subdirectories, in
excess of 350,000 individual mail items and a total of 6.2Gb and as I
said earlier I run Sylpheed on a 1.5Ghz Pentium 4 with 1Gb of RAM.

I'm able to "browse" or use the program's search facility without
being concerned about undue time delays whether I am using the "All"
or "Last 7 days" display options.

Yes, I do need to wait a few seconds for some searches of the archive
especially when I use recursive searches for content of individual
files deep in the file structure - that's to be expected with the
volume of data I have.

If Sylpheed didn't meet my requirements as a fast and simple mail
client I would change to something else in a moment. I can assure you
that I've tried a large number of other email clients over the years
but I've yet to find something which out-performs this one.

I agree with Onur that if you want to "improve" the performance
issues you are seeing then you should look to profiling your own CPU
and disk performance.

John