[sylpheed:36139] Re: Issues using Sylpheed under Windows 7.

Javier meresponde2001-sylpheed at yahoo.es
Wed Aug 20 11:06:31 JST 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 07:11:23 -0300
Daniel Bernardo <d_c_b at bersoft.com> wrote:

> Sylpheed 3.4.2
> It is not possible to delete messages in the All Mail folder in Gmail.
> I tried moving them to a local folder, they were copied, not moved.
> It is possible to delete messages in Gmail with Sylpheed?
>
> Both local and IMAP online folder with many messages show 34 as the number of message in the folder caption, not the real number.

Hi,

Actually... that's not a bug in Sylpheed but the way Google serves
the labels as IMAP folders.

Yes, you read correctly. IMAP folders are not folders but labels.

What happens then?

All mail in Gmail has the label "All mail", so, every mail, even in
trash folder, is at "All mail" folder. Weird? Don't tell to me, I
already said WTF in the past.

But is more weird than this. I remember when I had to follow the
Gmail help to avoid a crazy behavior with filters. If you set a
filter in Gmail to "move" a new mail to some folder (actually a
label) you need to remove the inbox label too or you'll have a copy
of the same mail in "All mail", inbox and the desired folder, what,
actually, is just one copy at "All mail" but visible in the other
labels/folders.

This is the worst thing of Gmail, among other stupidities. Far better
here Yahoo or even Microsoft IMAP services, but way far.

The solution for all this is simple:  "Out of sight, out of mind", or
"What you don't know can't hurt you".

In other words, uncheck the "All mail" label for IMAP checks so it
can't be displayed by IMAP clients.

An image showing this and what to change.
http://cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/12220260/original/IMAP_Labels.png

But remember this lesson: with Gmail you don't have folders, you have
labels.

You are warned ;-) or learn it the hard way as I did... :-P

Regards.