[sylpheed:35846] Re: Sylpheed

tristan foxtail at gmx.fr
Sat Nov 2 05:05:49 JST 2013

On 01/11/2013 20:57, cgw993 at aol.com wrote:
> I am concerned about non free software as everything should be.    I am
> getting clarification on what LGPL means currently.  For example, if you
> have a program that contains two parts, part A and part B with these
> licenses
>
> Part A - LPGL
> Part B - GPL
>
> Does there exist any non free software in the program?   If not, then why
> doesnt the program just combine parts A and B and have one license that is
> GPL?  I may not be understanding the GNU GPL licensing concepts correctly.

https://www.gnu.org/doc/doc.html
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#GPL

    * What does "GPL" stand for?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesGPLStandFor>
    * Does free software mean using the GPL?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesFreeSoftwareMeanUsingTheGPL>
    * Why should I use the GNU GPL rather than other free software
      licenses? <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyUseGPL>
    * Does all GNU software use the GNU GPL as its license?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesAllGNUSoftwareUseTheGNUGPLAsItsLicense>
    * Does using the GPL for a program make it GNU software?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesUsingTheGPLForAProgramMakeItGNUSoftware>
    * Can I use the GPL for something other than software?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOtherThanSoftware>
    * Why don't you use the GPL for manuals?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyNotGPLForManuals>
    * Are there translations of the GPL into other languages?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLTranslations>
    * Why are some GNU libraries released under the ordinary GPL rather
      than the Lesser GPL?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhySomeGPLAndNotLGPL>
    * Who has the power to enforce the GPL?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhoHasThePower>
    * Why does the FSF require that contributors to FSF-copyrighted
      programs assign copyright to the FSF? If I hold copyright on a
      GPL'ed program, should I do this, too? If so, how?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AssignCopyright>
    * Can I modify the GPL and make a modified license?
      <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL>
    * Why did you decide to write the GNU Affero GPLv3 as a separate
      license? <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SeparateAffero>