[sylpheed:35838] Re: Sylpheed

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Fri Nov 1 13:28:12 JST 2013

Hello,

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:07:19 -0700
<cgw993 at aol.com> wrote:

> > I like Sylpheed.   My only concern is that some of the code is non free
> > I guess.   I am hesitant to invest in learning new software unless I
> > know for certain I am not being spied on, that features are not forced
> > on me whenever the developer feels like.  Non free code often can
> > allow this.
>
> >Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>, the lead developer posts notices of
> availability of beta versions on this list. When people don't like something
> he's proposing or if they want something new, they respond.
> >Hiroyuki does listen to comments and has changed course on parts of some
> releases in the past. He's very reasonable.
>
> >As to spyware, I never thought of it. Hiroyuki would have to comment on
> that.
>
> I think that is great.  However, if the code is non free, you cant see it.
> You have to "trust" the developer.   This is something I think people should
> do as a last resort, if there is no other alternative.  If it is possible to
> make Sylpheed completly free that would be great.   Maybe the features that
> are making it non free are not really needed?

"Sylpheed" is completely free.

(Yes, there is a commercial version called 'Sylpheed Pro', which contains
proprietary executable modules, but it doesn't affect Sylpheed)

> > I hate Outlook so much that I feel I should only consider software that
> > has completely free software.   I noticed that Claws has the GPL
> > license and not a LGPL.    What feature of Sylpheed causes it to have
> > the LGPL instead of GPL?
>
> Again, Hiroyuki would have to comment on that.

Sylpheed consists on two parts:

- Sylpheed frontend (UI, controller, etc.) is under the GPLv2+.
- LibSylph (library for e-mail and common utilities) is under the LGPLv2+.

LibSylph is designed with being used as a standalone library in mind.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>