[sylpheed:35661] Re: sylpheed and sylfilter

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 13:18:56 JST 2013

Dear Hiroyuku,

--- On Sun, 5/19/13, Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> wrote:

> From: Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>
> Subject: [sylpheed:35660] Re: sylpheed and sylfilter
> To: sylpheed at sraoss.jp
> Date: Sunday, May 19, 2013, 9:45 PM
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 18 May 2013 05:48:54 -0700 (PDT)
> Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Hiroyuku and others,
> >
> > I am using sylpheed with sylfilter. For a particular
> e-mail I get the following:
> >
> > % sylfilter Mail/inbox/5972
> > Mail/inbox/5972: This is a junk mail (prob: 1.000000)
> >
> > It appears therefore that sylfilter classifies junk
> mail correctly (in this case).
> > However, sylpheed does not actually put it in the Junk
> folder. Here is what I have set up in the sylpheed
> preferences:
> >
> > Enable Junk mail control checked
> >
> > Learning command:
> > Junk: sylfilter -j
> > Not Junk: sylfilter -c
> > Classifying command: sylfilter
> >
> > To classify junk mails automatically, both junk and not
> junk mail will be moved to this folder. If empty, the
> default junk folder will be used.
> > Filter messages classified as junk on receiving
> (checked)
> > Filter junk mails before normal filtering (checked)
> > Delete junk mails from server on receiving (checked)
> > Mark filtered junk mails as read (checked)
> >
> > I am a little confused as to why the moving the mail
> into the junk filter does not work. What do I have to do
> additionally to make this filtering work?
>
> - Does Junk folder actually exist and have the special
> icon?
> - Select the message and run 'Tools - Filter junk mails in
> selected
>   messages'. Does it move the message to Junk folder?
> - Run 'sylpheed --debug' and check the output.

Thank you for your response!

The answer to your questions is as follows:

1. Yes.

2. Yes, it does, thanks! I was not aware of this feature. But i wonder if this can be automated. Specifically, I was thinking that when I go into sylpheed and it processes incoming e-mails in all the different folders, could it not Filter junk mails into the Junk folder at the same time. This would certainly save a lot of unneeded clicks and keystrokes. Of course, this feature may already exist in sylpheed, but I do not know. If it does not, I wonder if it is something that is easy enough to incorporate.

Many thanks again for your helpful response!