[sylpheed:34987] Re: BUG?: Messages are still marked as read when opened, even if "Always mark as read when a message is opened" option is deactivated?

Cristian Secară liste at secarica.ro
Fri Dec 30 21:43:16 JST 2011

În data de Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:25:59 +0400, Anton Shepelev a scris:

> > Here  is  one minus of Sylpheed, in that it has no
> > way to mark as read after x seconds.
>
> I think it is actually good,  because  such  actions
> must  be done by the user upon a conscious decision.
> The immediate automatical marking  as  read  may  be
> called such because it is a result of the opening of
> a the message, while with a delay it would depend on
> whether  you  have  spent, say, 4.99 or 5.01 seconds
> reading it.

If that option would have been implemented, the actual behavior can be
reproduced by simply entering 0 as the timeout (i.e. instant).

At least for me, the actual behavior is very confusing, because when I
open a folder it instantly mark as read the message that happens to be
selected and (say) if there was one message received and I did not
paid attention to the normal or bold status of the folder label, now
right from start all messages are marked as read so I cannot
tell if there was new mail or not in that folder. Because of this (as
well as other scenarios) I have to keep that option deactivated.

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secarica.ro