[sylpheed:37091] Re: Gmail accounts no longer accessible from Sylpheed?

Anton Shepelev anton.txt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 22:40:51 JST 2022

Jose Luis Gonzalez:

> I have received an email from Gmail stating that since
> May 30 I may lose access to applications using a less
> secure login technology (using only username and
> password).
>
> If I'm not wrong, this is the method I am using to access
> my Gmail accounts from Sylpheed. I wonder if there is a
> better method that is not going to be dropped, or if it
> is planned to be implemented any soon.

I join Jose Luis and the other posters in their concern
about Google's war against decent e-mail clients
under pretence of caring about their users. If they want to
support OAUTH, let them, but pray do not drop standard
existing protocols. Whoever wants better security is free to
use OATH, whereas those who are satisfied with their current
clients and protocols shall have the right use them.

I fear that abandoning Gmail is but a temporary measure,
because there is no guarrantee whatsoever that other e-mail
provider will not follow Google's example.

Does anyone know of an OATH implementation in C?

/\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]