[sylpheed:37089] Re: Gmail accounts no longer accessible from Sylpheed?

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.com
Sat Mar 5 06:53:12 JST 2022

I haven't brought gmail into Sylpheed, but did have to set up two-step
authentification to see those emails in Mailwasher. It meant changing
the incoming server type to imap and address to imap.gmail.com and
then generating a new password in the program for gmail.

The instructions for doing that on the Google side were the following
(I assume just replace Mailwasher with Sylpheed):

1. Go to your Google Account.
NOTE: If you see the line App passwords under 2-Step Verification then
this is already setup, therefore skip to part 9.
2. Click Security and then Click 2-Step Verification
3. Click Get Started
4. Enter your Gmail password if it's not already saved and click Next
5. Select your device and press Continue
6. Enter your phone number and click Send
7. You'll receive a text message from Google with a number which looks
like G-123456. Only enter the number part (eg. 123456) in to the part
where it says Enter the code. Click Next.
8. Check everything looks correct and click Turn on.
9. Click App passwords.
10. Enter your Gmail password if it's not already saved and click Next
11. In the drop down menu choose Mail
12. Select device Other (Custom name)
13. Type MailWasher as the name and click Generate
14. Your password for MailWasher will be generated
15. Enter your new app password in to MailWasher and click Save

Gene