[sylpheed:37134] Re: Quoting Styles

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sat Jun 11 19:54:35 JST 2022

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 12:38:10 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think anybody
> ever interpreted bottom-posting as replying under one huge
> quotation of the entire previous message (as I did here :-)

	You've never seen a to hundred line nested quote with a one line
response at the bottom ? I've seen far too many.

	Top posting with complete quoting does have a place, it's just not
mailing lists or USENET. That style is most suited for internal threads in
a company where at any time someone may be dragged into the conversation
and receive an email with a couple of months of discussion hanging off
"What do you think we should do?". Circulation is limited and variable so
the only place to put the context is in the message. It's no fun reading all
that context upside down, but it beats not having the full context when
you're put on the spot.

	This is why mail clients designed mainly for corporate use tend to
default to this style and can be difficult to persuade otherwise.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>