[sylpheed:37119] Re: Gmail accounts no longer accessible from Sylpheed?

Rich Coe rcoe at wi.rr.com
Fri Jun 3 09:04:13 JST 2022

On Sun, 29 May 2022 00:11:57 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rich Coe:
>
> > I am facing the same issue, and I didn't look into it
> > when google warned this was coming several months ago.
>
> I am considering migration to a different free mailbox, such
> as rambler.ru (5120 Gb), mail.ru (unlimited), or yandex.ru
> (unlimited). I am not sure about Yandex, but the other two
> feature buit-in migration tools, which do not seem to
> preserve the hierarcy of IMAP folders. Do you know of any
> free IMAP synchronisation software capable of migrating an
> IMAP mailbox with its folder structure?

I do not know of any IMAP tools, sorry.  Before I used sylpheed, I
used mh, which syphleed uses as the backing storage format.
I don't rely on any hierarcy on the server.

> Do you think it feasible and practical to set up both
> accounts in Sylpheed, manually create the corresponding
> folder structure in the target mailbox and then drag-and
> drop e-mails between each pair of corresponding folders?
>
> > I will look into what it takes to support OAuth in
> > sylpheed.
>
> That would be great! But does not OAuth affect the user's
> comfort? Will not the user be forced to jump through hoops
> every time he lauches the client?

>From what I understand, once set up, there shouldn't be any user
interaction required.  OAuth2 requires the user to authorize the client
on the server once, but once done, it doesn't need to be done again for
an approved application.

I have more motivation to accomplish OAuth2 now as google turned off my
access to basic auth today.

Rich