[sylpheed:36970] Re: Yahoo since 20 of October 2020 and Sylpheed

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Mon Oct 5 01:34:48 JST 2020

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 20:01:44 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.com> wrote:

> Javier,
>
> Not clear if this is about a mobile device.

Hi,

this is about desktop and IMAP/POP3 server access, what Sylpheed is
intended for ;) What else?

And Yahoo (and AOL, as both are the same company after all) limiting
the use of the account password.

So, now, to check mail they offer 3 options:

1. their app or web access
2. use a third party mail client that supports Oauth (for example,
Thunderbird)
3. use a third party mail client that doesn't support Oauth (for
example, Sylpheed) and use an app password instead use the account
password.

The problem is that the 3rd option, in the mails they are sending
says...:

"Once created, this password will continue to allow your app to
securely sync your AOL email unless you sign out (or are signed out)
from your app."

In the other hand, in the help page that they link, they don't tell
such thing:

https://help.aol.co.uk/articles/Create-and-manage-app-password

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN15241.html

And there is my doubt. Would continue being one-time-generated
password or one-time-use-password? For those who use Yahoo (or AOl)
what do you understand?

Because the one-time-use-password will limit, well... will drop the
use of Sylpheed, or any traditional mail client, with Yahoo (or AOL).

Anyway, I accept your suggestions about paid services, but, I'm not
in that boat. If I'd do something, I'd better run my own server at
home with an UPS. Not ideal, but if I had to choose between free and
third party paid, I'd go myself. But never say never. Who knows
what would I do.

> Fastmail [...] (~$35 USD/2 years)

Mmmmm, the website says by year, not by 2 years (3 monthly), if this
is the company https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/

Regards.