[sylpheed:36873] Re: sylpheed hangs when a message has encryption

Ingo Strauch ingo.strauch at gmx.net
Fri Jan 3 21:09:29 JST 2020

Hi!

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 10:03:33 +0100
richard lucassen <mailinglists at lucassen.org> wrote:

> When someone sends a message with some form of encryption, Sylpheed
> hangs. I need to "killall sylpheed" to get it back in the air. I use a
> Dovecot IMAP server. It is the second time I see such behaviour.

Not sure if it's the same issue, but I've seen similar behaviour for mails that were encrypted with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/MIME instead of PGP: Sylpheed was completely blocked for a very long time.

Back then I tried to analyse and found that it was downloading a file while the UI was unresponsive. IIRC it was some kind of certificate revocation list. When I downloaded the file with a browser it had a couple of megabytes and was served with an extremely low rate of less than 100 kB/s.

Maybe it's the same problem for you? Didn't find any way to influence this behaviour, though.

Cheers,
Ingo

--
"What're quantum mechanics?"
"I don't know. People who repair quantums I suppose."