[sylpheed:36947] Re: gmail auth problem

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:01:27 JST 2020

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 09:44:33 +1000
Keith bainbridge <keithrbau at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/8/20 9:07 pm, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 12:29:29 +0300
> > Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> They won't even let people the right of choice to stay with
> >> the old protocols, which are much simpler.
> >
> > 	They provide a free service they get to dictate the terms, you
> > don't like their terms then don't use them, there are plenty of
> > alternatives
>

> up to and including doing it yourself.
> >

> Yes, but where to start?
>
> I'll also add that every time I start out to de-google, somehow I end up
> more entwined.

It's really not that difficult to at least reduce, if not altogether
eliminate, Google from your computing life. It's not all or nothing;
you can take steps to remove Google piecemeal from your life. I went
from regular Android to LineageOS, Google search to mostly DuckDuckGo
(although I still find I need Google for things that DDG can't find),
Gmail to GMX and Zoho for personal mail (although I still use Gmail for
some public list traffic, like this message ;).

I'm still working on OsmAnd+ for mobile navigation; the software, maps,
and directions are quite good, but the lack of a usable address-to-GPS
coordinates service for my area is still a dealbreaker.

Celejar