[sylpheed:36940] Re: gmail auth problem

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Tue Aug 4 23:08:22 JST 2020

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 11:57:10 -0700
"G.A. L.F." <the.real.galf at gmail.com> wrote:

> In fact, prior to the whole COVID-19 thing, Google had plans set in
> place to do away completely with password-based authentication for
> third party apps (for which Sylpheed would have no doubt have been
> included).  I believe their early target date was February 2021 when
> password authentication would no longer function with POP and IMAP
> based protocols.  Unfortunatley, as far as I know, Sylpheed doesn't
> support OAuth authentication -- although it may now, I don't know if
> I'm using the most-recent release, so if anyone knows differently
> please feel free to correct me.

Hi,

with the small reference you just given there, I only could find that
that information is ONLY related (to date) to G.Suite. The cloud
services. Similar to Microsoft with its Office365 and its associated
mail service that is going to end support for normal passwords, in
favor of OAuth, in a couple of months.

I'm not being innocent and saying this couldn't happen to the whole
Gmail service or Google ecosystem. After all, Yahoo, this same year,
was sending mails and warning in the Web account control panel that
they were going to disable less secure apps configuration. The limit
was on Febraury, or March, this year, but looks that they re-thought
it. In the other hand, Yahoo was allowing per application/program
passwords, so they weren't fully disabling mail clients access with
special authentication protocols (OAuths, tokens, or whatever).

But if any service decides to cut off long run standards usage, maybe
could be the time to switch to a personal service by getting a domain
name and mail service, or dedicated server, (it won't be by lack of
experience in managing one (on my side)), getting some lowest price
out there.

In the end, you get tired of all this crap. OAuths, two steps
verifications, their way or no way, etc. All useless and just for
babysitting novels or save their asses in cases of leaks. There
haven't been needed in the latest 30 years. Why do we "need", or
better said, get forced to them now?

Anyway, as said by others, they shouldn't call POP, IMAP or SMTP,
standards at hand, because they would be a completely different
service.

Regards.