[sylpheed:36742] Re: Fw: Re: Sylpheed not showing all attachments in the list below the headers

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Fri Aug 17 14:56:30 JST 2018

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 03:21:17 +0200
Javier <sylfiger at gmx.com> wrote:

> You can show an additional tab to the view window so you can switch
> to the attachment window; or you can show an icon, on the right or
> the left, in the same space where the From:, To: and Subject: headers
> are placed in the viewing panel.

  Javier,

Yeah, see that's extra effort - if I don't manually go to the attachments
button or tab for every email, an attachment could be missed.

Looking into it a bit more, the issue is not so much whether an attachment
is text or not, but rather whether it is displayed *inline* as is usually
the case with text attachments and can be (depending on preference
settings) for images as well.

If an attachment is displayed inline, then Sylpheed won't display it at
the top as that apparently is considered redundant. This may be fine for
short text attachments. However, for long ones the inline attachment
widgets can be buried within thousands of lines of text.

> If there is something confusing, is when you receive a multipart
> message with plain+html (sadly most of the mails nowadays) that can
> "trick" you and make you think that there is nothing and the
> attachment is just the html part, but I myself, awalys check
> attachments, just in case when I receive an plain+html mail.

So, you are saying that a plain text part is present, but does not have
the actual message, even though it may be completely empty (or may only
have some extraneous/other info in it) and the HTML part contains the
important part of the message.

Furthermore, under
Configuration->Common Preferences->Display->Message
"Prefer HTML in multipart/alternative for display"
is *not* selected in your case - that the plain text portion is to be
preferred.

Do I understand the scenario correctly?

I must confess that even after using email for decades, that I have not
paid much attention to the above because 99.9% of the time, at least in
my own experience, "blank plain text" emails like that are SPAM anyway.

But I sure can see how email users (on both the sending and receiving
ends) could get tripped up by email clients that behave like that.

   Cheers,

   Mike