[sylpheed:36642] Re: how to create a list of e-mail addresses on sylpheed

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Thu Nov 16 03:04:02 JST 2017

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 10:00:41 -0400
Celejar <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 09:45:30 +0200
> Antonio Ospite <ao2 at ao2.it> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 03:27:57 +0000 (UTC)
> > Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have 65 students in my class and I would like to create
> > > a distribution list which will make it possible to send e-mail to
> > > all of them by not having to add in all of their addresses
> > > everytime. How do I do this?  Many thanks!
> > >

> > You can "almost" do that using Tools -> Address book:
> >
> >   1. Create individual contacts (Address -> New Address), one for
> > each member of the group.
> >   2. Create a group (Address -> New Group) and add the addresses to
> > it.
> >
> > Then, when sending an email:
> >
> >   3. Open the Address book, select the group, select all the
> > addresses in the group and click "To:" once, and then close the
> > Address book.
> >
> > I don't know if it's possible to put the group name directly as a
> > recipient.
>
> I wish it was - like the OP, this is a feature I really wish
> Sylpheed had. I'd like to be able to simply enter an alias into the
> To:, Cc:, or Bcc: fields and have a group of addresses automatically
> added. As it is, I do it the way you suggest, but it requires so many
> more steps than the alias way.
>
> Celejar

At first, I used the 'group' technique, but it's unwieldly because of
having to fish the students from an (in my case) gigantic list of
names).

There is a slightly more practical way. Simply put the e-mail addresses
in folders, eg. by course. If you want to send a mail to all, select
them with the cursor (click first, then shift-click last) and select
To:  (or Bcc:). (It'd be nice to have ctrl-A, which in many programs
means select All).

John