[sylpheed:36565] Re: Seg fault when reading directory with a large number of messages

Rich Coe rcoe at wi.rr.com
Wed Jun 7 21:57:20 JST 2017

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 00:20:27 -0700
Dennis Carr <dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net> wrote:
> Sylpheed 3.5.1, source build in Debian Testing.
>
> Yeah, I admit it.  I'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to my email.
>
> I have a folder of over 50,000 notification messages from Facebook from
> the years, and every time I access this folder of late I get a
> segmentation fault.  If I do 'sylpheed --debug' from the command
>
> How can I fix this?

# Start sylpheed from the command line, in background
: sylpheed &
[1] 30138

# make note of the PID printed by the shell, as above '30138'

# start gdb
: gdb -p 30138

# at the gdb prompt, type 'cont'
gdb> cont

# switch the folder to your problem folder
# wait for the fault to happen
# at the gdb prompt, type 'bt'
# if there's more than a page of lines, you will be prompted to press the space bar
gdb> bt

# copy the output of the traceback and report back to the list
# quit gdb
gdb> q

--Rich
Rich Coe     rcoe at wi.rr.com