[sylpheed:36515] Re: Mail filters don't work reliably

Keith Bainbridge keithrbau at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 10:02:47 JST 2017

G'day all

If this only happens when sylpheed starts, what happens if you turn off the
'Download mail at start up' option?

Keith Bainbridge

0447667468

keithrbau at gmail.com

Sent from my APad

On 25 Feb 2017 11:40, "Merlin Büge" <merlinbuege at web.de> wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 17:27:36 -0600
Rich Coe <rcoe at wi.rr.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I agree that the easiest way to diagnose the issues is to look at the
> debug messages when it happens.

I'm running Sylpheed now from CLI via 'sylpheed --debug > sylpheed.log'
and waiting for the issue to appear again.

> I have some early created rules that matched only {From}/{To}/{CC}
> based on username like your debian-user.  All my later rules, which I
> may have created with the 'create filter rule Automattically'
> feature, and then edited, include the full email address: {From}
> {contains}  someuser at some.host.com This also prevents filtering out
> false postives if some one has 'debian-user' as some other part of
> the {From} or {To} field.

Good idea.

> Another nice thing about the 'create Automattically' feature is when
> you pick a different field than the one the tool picked, it
> auto-fills the value in.  A number of lists use the {List-Id}
> attribute, which makes it nicer to match from the mail list than
> listing multiple entries for {To}, {CC}, {From}, etc.

Thanks a lot. I didn't know about the 'List-Id' header field. After
diagnosing the current filter issue I'll use that.

> Another thing to try is to look at the failing message with the
> View>Message Source option, and also pull up the filter rules from
> {sylpheed-home}/filter.xml and see if any of the rules from the top
> down match something before your 'debian-user' or some other rule.

I did that, and -- despite my rules being set up kind of sloppy, e.g.
'someuser' instead of 'someuser at domain.tld' -- the filter logic itself
seems not to be the problem here.

I'm curious about what the debug log will give.

Regards,

Merlin

--
Merlin Büge <merlinbuege at web.de>