[sylpheed:36386] Re: A list of Sylpheed issues, with request for comment

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Fri Dec 18 07:29:40 JST 2015

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:50:33 -0800
yuuri <yd-syy at gurukun.info> wrote:

> Hi everybody!

Hi,

[...]
> I'd like to share a few observations and hope to get some comments
> from you (some things will likely be "old hat" issues to you, but
> since I cannot search the list archive, I don't know what has been
> mentioned prevoiusly).

[...]
> 6 (important to me):
> The Re-Edit function is greyed out; I cannot edit a sent message for resending.
> (The manual mentions an "edition mode": how does one get to that?)
> Current workaround:
> Start a new message and copy and paste address and content from the sent message.

One way to send a variation of an already sent message is to use
the "Redirect" contextual menu, then save the copy to Drafts and
then reopen it and edit it. Note that Message-Id changes when you save
to Drafts.

A way to edit a sent (or even a received) message in place is by adding
an "Action" (Configuration->Actions); for instance I have an "Edit
message" action with this command line:

	gvim -f %F

You can use your favorite text editor instead of "gvim -f".

You then select a message and call the action (Tools->Actions->Edit
message) to edit it. This will _replace_ the message, it will not create
a new one.

I use this mainly to fix threading (adding or fixing the In-Reply-To and
References headers) in messages from people who use weird MUAs which
break threads.

JFYI, when you change the headers in this way you may need to call
"Update summary" on the folder containing the edited message.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite