[sylpheed:36019] Re: GnuPG Support: Encrypt to self in Sent Items

Javier meresponde2001-sylpheed at yahoo.es
Fri Mar 7 02:24:34 JST 2014

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:09:54 +0100
Tim Drub <tim.drub at hacky.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2014-03-04 19:52, Javier wrote:
>
> > If you have more than one personal key could be a problem (changing
> > it each time if you don't want to compromise the "privacy" of other
> > keys ID) because forces to change it continuously.
> >

> > http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg-devel/GPG-Key-related-Options.html
> >

> Perfect, that is exactly what I need. Thanks Javier.
>
> Still, one thing remains. I know ASCII armored is not preferred for PGP
> encrypted content
> (https://dkg.fifthhorseman.net/notes/inline-pgp-harmful/), but the
> mobile email client K9 sadly does not support PGP/MIME yet
> (https://code.google.com/p/k9mail/issues/detail?id=5864).

Hi,

what it's said there is not very accurate. I would consider that text
as FUD. "Hey, don't do it that way because if you do god will kill a
kitten each time".

Actually, PGP-MIME is a recommendation by OpenPGP to ensure easy of
use, interoperability and standards. It's better? I wouldn't judge it
but not necessarily.

But is not as it's being told in that page. In years (over 10) sending
inline PGP messages I had 0 problems of the related in that page.
Indeed, PGP-MIME messages are armored texts but in separate blocks to
conformance with MIME itself. Nothing else, nothing of magic.

> So I enabled
> the ACII armored check mark in Sylpheed and emails are sent out so K9
> understands them.
>
> But it looks like as if Sylpheed cannot handle ASCII armored PGP
> emails. I now am looking a base-64 encoded emails only.
>
> Anyone can confirm this?
>
> I know K9 should get their PGP/MIME support ready but if ASCII armored
> is supported as outgoing format it should then be understood for
> incoming mails, too.

We talked about this in the past few weeks/months in the list becasue
another user had these problems. Sylpheed only understands PGP-MIME
for decryption. Can't decrypt inline PGP.

Regards.